On the occasion I get gussied up03/13/2012 at 8:22 pm | Posted in me | 2 Comments
Tags: #CleverBeauty, #spon, beauty products, beauty routine, sponsored post, Walgreens
I am a very low-maintenance kind of girl.
I’ve never been much into makeup, and I hate having to curl or style my hair. I leave my house some days in a condition that would make most women cringe (wet head, no makeup). But I have dark features and no time, so I just go with it.
After I became a mom, I came to realize the importance of putting some effort into my appearance. Look good feel good, right? In Sophie’s early weeks, nothing felt better than taking a shower and shaving my legs. And now, whenever I have a chance to go out, I relish the getting-ready routine.
I’m learning how to choose and apply makeup. Besides some unfortunate sparkly blue eyeshadow I tried to pull off at BlogHer ’10, I’ve gotten pretty good at fixing my face (as we say in the South). I love getting to shed my mom uniform and put on pretty clothes. A simple blow-out does wonders for my confidence, and don’t even get me started on the joy of having painted toenails.
As my ever-so-wise eyebrow guy/magician once said, “Yes honey, you’re a mom. But you need to remember that you’re a woman. Look the part.”
We have a bunch of fun events coming up this spring, including a very special wedding. To “look the part,” as Christopher instructed, I’m going to lean on my dream-team of beauty products and a trick or two I’ve learned along the way:
– I use hairspray to keep my eyebrows in place. There, I said it. And no, I don’t aim the bottle at my face. I spray it on an old tooth-brush and swipe it over my brows. The glamour!
– I live by Burt’s Bees Radiance eye cream. And I always apply a coat of Burt’s Bees lip balm underneath my lip color.
– For years, Sally Hansen’s Hard as Nails has kept my hands looking pretty. My nails are incredibly soft and tear easily, so a coat or two of this stuff really helps. And keeps them looking shiny and clean.
– When the occasion calls for open-toed shoes or sandals, I always apply color to my toes. This is my absolute favorite part of the getting-ready ritual.
– To keep my face clean, I use Aveeno foaming cleanser (it smells soooo good) and Biore pore strips. Those suckers hurt, but they work like a boss.
– And my all-time favorite drugstore beauty product? Maybelline Great Lash mascara. That pink and green tube has been in my makeup bag for years. Not the same one. I think.
What are your go-to products? Any tips on a fun nail color I should try for a May wedding? My toes can’t wait to see the sun.